Boating Safety: What Floats Your Boat
Have a splash this summer but be aware of boating safety rules and practices before getting underway. Operator inexperience, inattention, recklessness, and speeding are the four leading causes of watercraft accidents. Follow these safety tips to help boat responsibly and make the best of your time on the water.
Before Getting Underway.
- Check your boat insurance coverage and contact Foy Insurance with updates.
- Let someone know where you are going and when you will return.
- Open all hatches and run the blower after you refuel and before getting underway.
- Check at the boat launch for any local regulations that apply.
- Abide by the boat capacity plate located near the boat operator’s position.
- Never use drugs or alcohol before or during the operation of a watercraft.
Use and Maintain the Right Safety Equipment.
- Have a U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jacket on board for each person.
- Have a fire extinguisher.
- Have operable boat lights. Test boat lights before you leave the dock.
- Keep a floating pouch on board containing a cell phone, maps, flares, and first aid kit.
Keep a close eye on the weather as sudden wind shifts, lightning flashes and choppy water all can mean a storm is on its way. If bad weather is approaching, get off the water early to avoid a long wait in inclement weather.
Take a Boating Course.
New boaters and experienced experts alike need to be familiar with the boating rules. Boating safety courses are inexpensive and often completed in a day, in-person or online.
Foy Agency Insurance wants you to stay safe on the water this year and prides itself on providing exemplary customer service. We take every measure to ensure you are satisfied with all your insurance needs and will make sure you’re properly informed on what your coverage includes and costs.
Foy Agency Insurance has been serving the Croghan, Deer River, and Lowville areas for over half a century. We are proud to be large enough to provide professionalism and reliability, yet small enough to provide personalized service. To discover more about how we can serve your needs, please visit our website or call us at one of our three locations today.